Western North Carolina (WNC) offers many benefits to retirees. With vibrant cities, majestic waterfalls and first-rate parks, WNC is packed with everything you want when it’s time to ditch the daily grind.
1. Cultural and Intellectual Engagement
Pick up a new hobby, study local history or learn a craft. Attend concerts, see great artists, local marketplaces and theatrical performances. The area abounds with:
- Universities, four-year colleges and community colleges, many with courses designed for retirees
- National and state park learning centers
- Internationally acclaimed arts and crafts schools, such as Penland School of Craft and the Great Smokies Writing Program
Local communities offer learning opportunities in many areas of interest, from playing an instrument to woodland foraging to Cherokee beadwork. Discover the local symphonies, choirs and museums.
2. Physical Activities
With diverse terrain that includes mountain lakes and winding rivers, WNC promises plenty of outdoor options for physical activity all year round, including:
- Walking, camping, biking and hiking
- Sailing, kayaking and fly-fishing
- Golf, pickleball and snowboarding
Take dance lessons for swing, hip-hop or Contra styles. Cycle through towns that are cultivating bike paths. Visit local parks and activity-based businesses whenever the fancy strikes.
3. Peace and Tranquility
If your ideal lifestyle encompasses rocking chairs, birdsong and quiet times, look to WNC. You’ll find a gentler pace, such as:
- Gorgeous views of mountains, forests, valleys, rivers and waterfalls
- Biodiversity in the trees, plants, animals and birds
- Small mountain towns with a slower pace and a friendly, laid-back vibe
It’s easy to enjoy the serenity in WNC. Just look out your kitchen window, walk up a mountain trail or stroll down a nearby street for a cup of joe.
4. Affordable Housing
To help manage your expenses, WNC checks a lot of boxes, including:
- A cost of living that’s below the national average
- Tax breaks, with no income tax on Social Security retirement benefits and no state estate tax
- Old and new housing solutions, in a town or in the boonies
You invested a lifetime saving your funds for retirement. Setting down roots in WNC allows you to use them wisely.
5. Temperate Weather
Situated in a prime location, WNC has one of the most temperate and reliable climates in the country. People move here for reasons that include:
- Healthy air and water
- All four seasons
- Low threat of severe weather events
- Moderate temperatures in summer and winter
Much of the region is accessible by car and air — ideal for visiting family and friends. The case to retire in WNC was made in Southern Living Magazine’s September 2023 issue, which chose Blowing Rock, NC as the Best Mountain Town for retirement.
Trust your neighbors at GoPrime Mortgage. These experienced professionals help make your dream a reality by finding you the right mortgage. Enjoy your retirement years in a beautiful, affordable mountain home.