Healthy Living in Asheville
Live Healthy in the Mountains of Western North Carolina
There are a lot of things to know about Asheville, North Carolina, before you move, and if you’re looking for a healthy lifestyle, this might be a great city to consider. Why? Tucked into the mountains of Western North Carolina, Asheville is surrounded by natural beauty that inspires plenty of outdoor activity like hiking and biking. There are Yoga studios on every corner and Asheville is also known for an alternative approach to caring for the mind, body, and spirit. Some people even believe that the quartz found in these mountains have special properties, similar to the healthy mystique surrounding Sedona, Arizona. Whatever it is you’re looking for, Asheville has it. So what do you need to know about healthy living in this mountain town before you move here?
The Current Health Conscious Nature of Asheville
Back in 2012, Asheville was named number 5 on the list of the healthiest and greenest cities in the country by Greener Ideal. They picked Asheville for its fresh mountain air, focus on a stress-free way of life, and the attention Asheville pays to both physical and mental wellbeing.
Asheville certainly has its vices, most notably the prevalent craft beer culture, but amongst these indulgences are plenty of healthy alternatives. The city is home to kombucha brewers, gluten-free restaurants, vegan food purveyors, and plenty of farm to table meal opportunities.
Become One With the Outdoors in Our Mountains
Of course, you can’t talk about the healthy lifestyle in Asheville without looking around at the mountains that surround the city. Asheville is nestled in the southern Appalachians between the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains, which gives residents here ample opportunity to explore the great outdoors.
Popular outdoor activities include:
- White water rafting: While the mighty French Broad is generally subdued through the city limits, and primarily used for floating in the summer, there are plenty of more active water experiences available seasonally throughout the region.
- Mountain biking: There are also plenty of places where you can challenge yourself on two wheels.
- Hiking: Of course, no one can argue the quality of hiking opportunities in out mountains. Whether you need something easy or are willing to venture to the most complex hikes, there are plenty to choose from.
- Hot Springs: Or maybe you just want to relax in a hot tub filled with clear, restorative hot spring waters. We have an entire town north of the city dedicated to just that.
- Skiing: In the winter, you can head further north into the mountains for some fantastic skiing and other snow sporting adventures.
Eat Healthy and Well Throughout the Area
There is no doubt that Asheville is a destination for food. It’s attracted James Beard wining chefs to the city who offer amazing dishes sure to delight your palate. But that doesn’t mean all of it is decadent. Check out these healthier restaurant options for an amazing food experience.
- Posana: Everything on the menu is gluten free.
- Laughing Seed: A vegetarian institution in the city.
- Green Sage Café: For a quick and healthy meal, there are 3 locations.
- Nine Mile: Healthy Caribbean flavors in North and West Asheville.
The team at GoPrime Mortgage, Inc. ., takes pride in our place in the West Asheville community and we want to spread the word about the benefits of healthy living in Western North Carolina. Contact us today to start the process of finding your next mountain home.